Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Red Ale Sampling

So far, the Red Ale seems to have turned out pretty nice. I haven't done the blind test yet, but the initial flavor test and the alcohol content test came out quite favorable.. The color is a deep brown, and so it resembles a Brown Ale more than a Red Ale, but I am not complaining. Even though I have brewed quite a few batches in my 14 months of brewmeistering, I think that coming up with a flavor of an entirely different class of ales is a positive accomplishment, especially because I don't have to pour it out.

So the color is a rich brown, and it forms a nice head when poured quickly. It does stop foaming right away, at this point. It could change if it stays in the bottles a long time. It is very clear and it doesn't have any floaters drifting around.  It has a nice aroma, and a very full flavor, not very hoppy, but with a nice caramel background. For me, the buzz factor is the main reason to make beer in the first place, and so I like to drink one on a nearly-empty stomach, and see how it feels. I'm very happy with how it feels.

I also obtained a new kit. I plan to brew either this week or on the weekend, if the weather stays nice. I got the grain and malt extract for a Pale Ale, and some extra hops. I plan to add about a pint of agave nectar, and 2 ounces of citrus-tasting hops, and turn it into an IPA. This will be my first experimental beer, the only time I will have gone beyond the instructions. I will call it Margarita Beer.

I still plan to do a blind taste test on the Red Ale, as described previously, with my brewmeistress. She seemed to be surprised when I poured her a glass. I have a sampler of Widmer Ales in the fridge. She thought it was one of them at first. Anyway, I have been blogging too much lately, I guess. I'll be back to this blog in a few days, after I get my Margarita Beer in the carboy.


I still plan

No comments:

Post a Comment