Saturday, May 15, 2010

Summer (Ale) is Coming

On a whim, my brewmeistress picked up a packagw of ingredients for a summer ale. We needed caps for the bottles that we will be filling with Newcastle-style Brown Ale. So, I whipped up a batch of Summer Ale wort in almost no time at all. It sits in the closet even now, waiting for yeast activity.

I joined a local brewing organization. This is probably a good idea for anyone learning to brew. My group is called the Gold Country Brewers Association, based in and around the Sacramento region. I've been to a couple of meetings as a guest, but this time I joined up and paid some dues. It is nice to intereract with some fellow brewers. since I am now on my seventh batch, I have a rank somewhat higher than novice brewer.

I have been hearing about the whole grain process, where you start with whole barley and sparge the sugars out of it. I have used a concentrate which resembles chocolate or caramel syrup. It makes the brewing process quicker, but no as original. I will definitely try the grain method at some point. I have a goal of brewing 15 batches of beer and then buying a kegging system. Then, I will invest in the grain extraction equipment, and some classes.

Tomorrow is a local brewers' festival, I'm going to see and taste some different brews, and then to help with cleaning up, as a volunteer. So, that's it for this edition. Tune in tomorrow, for news of the Brewfest, if I can remember any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment